Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Tuesday, August 26, 2003

One for My Ex

This Thursday, Starz/Encore's Western channel (which would probably have been on 24/7 had Steve Chaput [link at sidebar] and I had cable TV when we were married) is showing the documentary Images of Indians: How Hollywood Stereotyped the Native American. It promises to be either interesting or, as Hartford Courant columnist Roger Caitlin puts it, "a half-hour apology for just about everything else that runs on this Starz! channel offshoot." Considering the channel also runs movies like Smoke Signals, I'm not nearly as hard on them as Caitlin is. Maybe it's also because he sounds like White Man Taking Humbrage on Others' Behalf, whereas I've known Mashantucket-Pequot folks (and used to be related by marriage to some Mohegans) up around his way. So instead of being smarmily dismissive of a documentary I haven't even seen yet, I can hope for the best and productively link to cool Native American film sites.

0 comments: