Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Saturday, November 09, 2002

WDC Notes

Off to the National Expo in a few minutes, but did a quick check of blogs and such before taking off to see what's up in the world of women and comics, since I'll be at the Friends of Lulu booth for awhile today. Some sad news first, as Mark Evanier's blog (see link at left bar) mentions today that writer Hilary Bader passed away last night after losing her battle with ovarian cancer. I never had the pleasure of meeting her but always enjoyed her comics writing. And Dirk Deppey's blog (see link at left bar) profiles Palestinian cartoonist Omayya Joha (whom I'll now be adding to my Women Doing Comics list, thanks Dirk!) as well as exerpting from the Pulse interview with Ramona Fradon. Dirk also has a brief calendar of comics events this weekend but I guess nobody told him about National. Me, I'm hoping August Pollak (see link at left bar) shows up, I really want to meet him! By the way, I keep a running tab on online articles about women doing comics in this thread on my Penciljack Forum, so if there's something I miss, please let me know and I'll publicize it. I continue to believe that visibility is the name of the game here; the more women doing comics are talked about, the fewer people will say "I didn't know women did comics!" And yes, there are still a lot of folks out there who have that reaction.

0 comments: