Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Tuesday, August 06, 2024

Silly Site o' the Day

Wow. What a day. I'm rather at a loss for words. Well, first off, I hopped a 6:45 AM express bus down to the Wall Street area, getting there right around 8:30 AM. Yep, it takes just about two hours from Bronkers to Wall Street! The book distribution/reading went very well. I was assigned to two classrooms of special-needs kids, who didn't care much for the free book but did seem to take to the activity booklets we gave them. Very rewarding, although I was unable to answer their questions about Inside Out 2, having not seen it. Do you think this would help?

Via Laughing Squid. Then we got on the subway back to Lex and 51st, which meant navigating stairs both ways, and between that and sitting awkwardly in the school's chairs something was bound to happen. Which it did mid-afternoon, as I got up from my office chair and started walking toward the kitchen to refill my water tumbler. The most painful felt-like-a-groin pull I've ever had (alas, that's one of the places the IT band issue expresses itself). I could hardly walk! It eased a bit if I walked very gingerly, and didn't seem to bother me that much walking (slowly) to the bus stop at 5:30. But then, of course, the real fun began. I wound up sitting there for three hours as the Deegan flooded, then Broadway flooded, and pretty much my entire world was awash for a good long while. The bus driver did a terrific job but she looked fairly frazzled by the end of it! And when Robin finally met me at the terminus about an hour ago, as soon as I got off the bus the pain started again. So I've canceled my vague plans to take the car in tomorrow for its annual inspection, as I need the time to rest and heal, and my area of Bronkers needs time for all this rain to recede. And now, time for an extremely late dinner!

0 comments: