Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Sunday, August 18, 2024

Silly Site o' the Day

I've become disenchanted of late with the auto shop I've visited since the one down in Yonkers closed about a half dozen years ago. While they've been okay for annual inspections and basic maintenance, they're not as convenient in terms of open times and location, and after the debacle with my power steering assembly there was a bit of trust lost. So I made an appointment for this morning with the local Mavis franchise to get a "second opinion" on the state of my tires and brakes before I head out on any big trips. Robin had warned not to get my hopes up too much, as he recalled we'd been there before and not had a good experience, none of which I remembered. But nothing to worry about this time; they were amazing. That they're open on Sundays alone ticks off a big "yes" in my mental book. They're right on Broadway where there are tons of stores (some that aren't even bodegas), even 3 or 4 fast food places, and two supermarkets (including the gourmet one we often visit) within easy walking distance. They explained everything they wanted to do (the front brakepads, which my old auto shop told me needed replacing, were just fine, but the back ones were worn; and I did indeed need two new tires), gave me an itemized price list (all prices extremely reasonable and far less than what I've been paying) explained and showed me everything (you can do that when your clean and well-kept garage is that roomy, and I saw them do similar with other customers), and between when they finally saw the car after 45+ minutes or so (like a doctor's waiting room, I thought) and when the work was done it was a couple hours. They even test-drove the car after working on it (there's a parking lot alongside their garage). They were professional, friendly, and very informative. I'm going back next Sunday to fix a leak issue we didn't even know we had (and the old auto shop never mentioned nor caught), as that repair will take another couple hours. This go-round we have a plan for what to do to pass the time. Today we just took in a celebratory sushi lunch, more than good enough for me. Oh, did I mention there's a sushi/hibachi place  a block away from the Mavis? Oh, and they also do oil changes and inspections. Next Sunday I'm going to ask them to double check the work on the power steering assembly Just In Case. But I cannot tell you how relieved I am to have something I considered very major checked off my to-do list, and that I can keep my 20-year-old car running longer. Maybe I won't be doing nothing (via BoingBoing) now that the car's purring again and autumn is just around the corner!

1 comments:

PJ said...

Okay, I had read your post and was thinking about this place I had been taking the car down in the Bronx by the Cross Bronx but I had heard they closed. So, for the last few years I’ve been driving down to Fleetwood to this place that was once called Total Car Care but they changed hands and now it’s called Ralph and Sons. The address is 701 N MacQuesten Pkwy, Mt Vernon, NY 10552 I’ve found them to be very, very good. Up front about things and while I know it’s a bit of a ways from you (although pretty easy as getting on Henry Hudson north and then jumping on the Cross County and getting off right after you go over the Bronx River Parkway) the bonus is they are right across the street from a Metro North station (Fleetwood) which means you can drop the car off and then head into work or take the train to 125 and then switch trains back up on the Hudson line. You could also take the 8 bus up to Getty Square and switch to the 25 in a pinch. Phone number is: (914) 776-5331 you can tell them I sent you but I don’t know if it will make any difference really just use Phil instead of PJ