Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Saturday, December 01, 2018

Silly Site o' the Day

White rabbits, and tomorrow's my 61st birthday! Doesn't seem possible, until I look at today's tech and muse about how my life would have been different if I'd grown up with hand-held computers, the ability to order or look up anything I wanted at the touch of a button, "touch of a button" morphing into "click," friggin' ATMs which weren't even a thing till the mid-'70s and then I have to tell folks who don't believe me that yes, I was alive then, and already an adult having graduated from college by the start of the '80s and oh, if only Reagan hadn't been elected and Lennon hadn't been killed and then I become quite the downer. Here's the thing, though: if you don't know the context in which things happen you don't quite get why they happen. Take this definitive explanation of Baby It's Cold Outside via Vinnie, which explains the context at the time. I actually understood that context but was never able to articulate it, so I'm happy someone else did. And I try every day to see the 21st century through 21st century eyes...

0 comments: