Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Thursday, September 07, 2017

Fifteen Years Young

I have a hard time imagining many people are still reading this blog. I can't blame them; not only has the technology moved on (as it did from Compuserve fora to message boards before blogging was around) to Facebook and Twitter and Instagram and so forth, but I haven't really made a concerted effort to put a lot of new content in here. As I've said in the past, I'm expending my creativity more into my paying job than into any extracurriculars. And maybe I'm getting old and lazy as well, stranger things have been known to happen. But I still like a long-form one-to-many forum, as I have ever since my 150+ penpal days in the late 1960s when stamps cost 6 cents each. So as every blogiversary rolls around I make one of those new year promises to myself to write more, to put daily content on that contains more than the Silly Sites I've dedicated to my late great friend Leah, and to make sure I have some sort of chronology of what I've been up to, so that in the Astounding Years to Come (that one's for you, Steve) I can supplement my poor episodic memory with "ah, well if I wrote about it it must have happened, yes?" And then I go and back-date stuff so I'm actually posting every other day sometimes only people don't know it unless they have RSS feeds (which, face it, is how I read most others' blogs anyway). But I'm showing willing! So whilst my numbers may dwindle (do blog site-counters even exist any more?) my enthusiasm doesn't. And we'll see what the future brings. No promises, but lots and lots of hope. And we all need that in these times, don't we?

0 comments: