Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Silly Site o' the Day

So here's the thing about physical pain. It takes over not only your body but your mind and attitude, so that you become uncharacteristically short-tempered and really unable to concentrate on anything beyond the immediate pain. So from last Friday through yesterday, really, I wasn't able to do more than the bare minimum. I downed enough ibuprofen to get me through the workday with as little movement as I could muster, gritted my teeth during the agonizing hour-plus twice-daily express bus commutes, and was pretty difficult to live with the rest of the time. Robin and I were practically at each other's jugulars yesterday when we met up with his college friend in the city - between me not being able to walk two steps without audibly wincing, and the state of his feet after way too much walking, we were not the best of company for either each other or Jane. Thank goodness the back seems to be easing up; I've cut back on the ibuprofen, and given up applying tiger balm in favor of the the diclofenac sodium gel that I've used for my toe arthritis. It's still an NSAID so I need to be careful (and really, I never over-medicate), but I think it's started to turn things around. Of course, in case it's two steps forward and one step back, I'm brushing up on my Shakespearean insults so I can at least sound sophisticated when I snap at people...

0 comments: