Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Sunday, February 14, 2016

Silly Site o' the Day

Home from Mom's with a poorly tummy (actually I left home yesterday with a poorly tummy so there you are), out of Imodium but I have just enough store-brand stuff to tide me over, and I can't saw logs yet because they're doing that, literally, downstairs. Well, not logs, more like boards, but the workmen will be at it at least another couple hours. I've already warned Robin that they may still be working after his return. But I'm not upset (other than my stomach) about such things when there's other stuff to turn one righteously indignant, like the idiots insisting that because One of Theirs suddenly passed away the President who's not One of Theirs can't do his job and nominate a successor, or other idiots describing female characters in their scripts based primarily on physical attributes that would never even be thought of to describe men. The Mary Sue has a rundown of some terrific women-led sites like Casting Call Woe and Terrible Casting that shows what women are up against. The final irony? When you go to that Mary Sue page, an ad starts to auto-play featuring bimbo model types, exactly as described in these Tumblrs and in FemScriptIntros.

0 comments: