Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Sunday, January 31, 2016

Silly Site o' the Day

So we just watched Fox's version of Grease!Live!With!Exclamation!Points!, and I found myself cringing at all the compounded anachronisms even as I cheered on Eve Plumb and Didi Conn and even Ana Gasteyer. The color-blind casting I got used to after a few minutes (loved the "Beauty School Dropout" number), but the band in the American National (yes, he did flub it and say "American") Bandstand scene having one guy with a mohawk and a female guitarist with whatever non-'50s outfit she was wearing? I never thought I'd miss Sha Na Na, but there you are. Still, it could have been even weirder (another bit I liked, calling the decidedly non-fat actress "weird" instead of "fat" and having that taken as the compliment it was obviously meant to be), they could have used suggestive Victorian calling cards (via io9).

0 comments: