Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Thursday, August 14, 2014

Silly Site o' the Day

A strange thing is happening to me during this work transition period. Now that I no longer have to do "lifestyle management" for my former boss, I'm starting to get my own life in order again. Not very long ago I was lamenting my lack of a social life. Now mind you, I've never been a real party gal, I enjoy being a homebody as does Robin. But I thought it might be nice once in awhile to meet friends for meals, take weekend trips to see folks and the like. I was actually getting depressed about this during the first part of the year.  Now my social calendar is filling up so much it's making me dizzy! It helps that I can now get my work calendar on my cell phone, because I can schedule appointments during the day and have mobile reminders any time. So today was Jane Day, as Robin's college mate is visiting the NY/NJ area for a couple weeks. I couldn't join them during work hours, so they hung out and walked all around Central Park, met me at 5:30, and then we all had dinner together, visited Midtown to pick up my regular comics order whilst Robin was there to carry it, and walked Jane back to Penn Station. In Jane's honor, today's Silly Site is the BoingBoing post about the Cockney Rhyming Slang ATM of Hackney Road. Here's a video of it in action:



Next up, lunch with a coworker today on her last day, off to Mom's (and possibly to see Jane again and her NJ hosts) tomorrow, next Wednesday I'm lunching with Firesign chat friend Dexter Fong, a week Sunday we join my godson's mom at the RenFaire (for the first time since Leah's passing), sometime in September Robin and I hope to converge with Jill in Reading to see Anna (and yes, the INSIDE JOKEs are being scanned so I hope not to come across any foreign AbeBooks sales like this in the future), then we're meeting Firesign'y friends Tom and Lili at the Bronx Zoo for my firm's "corporate weekend" (i.e., we can all get in free), after which October brings a celebration for my uncle's 80th followed by the NY Comic Con and... wow, I'm happily exhausted just thinking about it!

0 comments: