Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Sunday, February 06, 2011

Silly Site o' the Day

Well, that was a football game. All in all, I think the English football games this weekend were much more fun to watch. Even the Super Bowl ads were kind of meh - I liked the Coke ones, but nothing else really stood out. I'm pretty sick already of FOX's plugs for its own shows, though, which brings me to Ugly Sitcom Husbands with Hot Sitcom Wives (via the Awl), a TV trope that's always niggled at me. I think it's done for the same reason as you see a lot more ugly male characters than ugly female ones in superhero comic books; the people who make these things are by and large so used to objectifying women and seeing men as proxies for themselves that society much more easily accepts schlubby husbands with attractive wives than schlubby wives with attractive husbands. Pity, that.

0 comments: