Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Sunday, October 24, 2010

Silly Site o' the Day

Something that's been bothering me for awhile is all the brouhaha throughout the US and Europe concerning so-called Muslim clothing. On more than one occasion, Sikhs have been attacked or killed because they wear turbans, and ignorant people associate turbans with Muslims. And remember all the nonsense a couple years ago about how dare Rachael Ray wear a keffiyah? Exactly like the kind I saw on a couple Italian guys walking along Sixth Avenue ahead of me the other day, which is why I'm thinking about this again? And of course there's the disgusting French burqa ban. Hey, I don't like the way Hasidic Jews dress either, even though there but for the grace of a myth go I, y'know? But I'm not advocating a ban on all pais and round hats because a few of them want to see all Arabs dead. So I was delighted to see a new Tumblr blog called Pictures of Muslims Wearing Things (via BoingBoing, and I love the photo they chose). Because, you know, in the end it's just clothes and accessories, after all.

0 comments: