Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Saturday, August 14, 2010

Silly Site o' the Day

Recently Robin, whose color sense is of course superb, explained to me one of the reasons I tend not to want to see current blockbusters. Aside from the inability to control the noise level (both of the movie and of the often-socially stinted audience), the visuals often hurt my eyes, like the spinning camera and quick cuts, but also the color. Rob pointed out that was a lot of modern filmmakers like to do is tint faces orange (doesn't matter what color the face is, orange is mixed in) and backgrounds blue, as blue and orange are complementary colors and this is a common cheat on how to make everything "pop." If you don't believe me, check out David Lacher's The Michael Bayifier.

1 comments:

PJ said...

Hadn’t noticed but that’s a very interesting observation.

I agree with you about the theater going experience, like a lot of things I once had fond memories of it is something that has lost its charm (airline travel is another).