Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Professional Self-Worth (and Silly Site o' the Day)

With unemployment continuing to rise, and the people in a position to do something about it clearly uninterested in alleviating our citizens' pain, it's no wonder that workers are being taken advantage of. A number of comics-centric sites report on the 16-year-old video game producer who advises his colleagues to purchase talent on the cheap, actually encouraging them to bilk creative folk. Nice young Republican in the making you have there, parents really seemed to raise him well. "I’m sorry for anyone that finds capitalism to be the devil." Well, the devil's in the details, and here are some places that have them: Heidi, Colleen, and Brigid, who also mentions the latest Bluewater ripoff. Entertainment producers, even young ones, realize these are desperate times and are hoping to gouge discouraged creators, but I like to think writers and artists are choosing not to devalue themselves and are retaining their dignity, despite perhaps dwindling savings accounts.

And speaking of dignity, Val passed along a site purporting to feature a woman who used a dry erase board to write a resignation letter in a series of 33 photos. Turns out it's a hoax (BoingBoing breaks it down), which I suppose many of us should have realized given the name of the hosting site is The Chive (aka Not The Onion, Honest), but you know, we really Wanted To Believe. And besides, the admins to whom I sent the link thought it was funny anyway, so I guess The Chive achieved their goal.

The actual working class hero of the hour seems to be ex-flight attendant Steven Slater, now with 120,000 Facebook fans and counting, who stood up for himself in a rather unorthodox manner when he'd taken enough verbal and physical abuse from an overly-entitled passenger. Both BoingBoing and The Awl have extensive coverage (BoingBoing here and here, The Awl in these three posts), and the latter site also passes along a Taiwanese report using wooden animation (starting about 28 seconds in) that actually reminds me a bit of the drawings on the airline safety card, so that's kind of fitting:



I'm glad Gary Sassaman, for one, had the same idea as me about Steven Slater. I keep calling him Steven Stucker too. I miss Stucker. I wonder what he'd make of all this? "Well, I can make a hat, I can make a broach..."

0 comments: