Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Sunday, November 02, 2008

More Foliage Pictures

My camera has been getting so much of a workout lately that my battery actually died on me yesterday morning when I boarded the express bus into the city. The driver, who happens to be as much of a semi-pro photographic hobbyist as Robin (he picked the wrong half of the Riggs couple with whom to enthusiastically discuss camera particulars!), said I should have brought my charger with me and charged it on the bus. Say what?? So now I know that the express bus has electrical outlets, and where they are. I also know, a propos of nothing, how to change my windshield wipers (the auto shop guy showed me, plus I swiped the instructions and put them in my glove box). In addition, a propos of Sir Apropos of Nothing, Newsarama has now posted a preview of Robin's first issue. And speaking of pretty pictures, on with the photos! This is Round One; I still have some from Central Park and, of course, my brother's wedding that I want to share with you. Onward:



The view from my front window - more precisely, from street level as we live two floors up.



Amy came to the aforementioned front window to see me off. You'll have to click on the picture to see her more clearly; she's in the middle window.



I really like the backdrop of the puffy-cloudy sky against the foliage here. This is taken from the U-shaped driveway leading to the actual sidewalk.

We're lucky enough to have a beautifully landscaped college at the end of our street, which also serves as the terminus for various bus lines. I love walking alongside the college in the spring and autumn on my way to the express bus, and that's where I got these shots yesterday:







Even though my camera effectively died after this, I jiggled the battery a bit and managed to eke out one last shot taken at the Time Warner Center in the evening, on my way to the Columbus Circle subway station to take the "1" train home:



I love the little "fairy lights" juxtaposed with the yellow leaves. It's a very pretty effect when you see about a half-dozen in that semi-circle. Now that my battery's recharged, I hope to get more neighborhood photos later today and post them (and many of the others I mentioned above) sometime before the year is out...

0 comments: