Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Silly Site o' the Day

My latest ComicMix column is up, as is usual on Wednesday. Also as is usual on Wednesday, now that I'm employed again, I wanted to get comics but wound up working later than expected, then spent way too much time this evening fast-forwarding through two Olbermanns and one Maddow before giving up on the second Maddow and saving it for tomorrow, since neither show will air because of the candidates' joint appearance at the ServiceNation summit on 9/11 (or, as Olbermann's Special Comment tonight put it, "9/11™". Frankly, I'm more than a little skeptical of an "org" that contains "inc" in the domain name before the dot, but it's as Robin has often observed, and considering Obama's timid centrism has come out front and center of late I'm forced to agree -- these guys have more in common with each other than they ever will with the vast majority of the American voters they claim to represent, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if they went out for a beer after it's all said and done.

Of course, part of me wishes the actual bipartisanship were in service to the country rather than themselves, which reminds me, I got a lovely email from Jeff Beard at Molecular TV thanking me for publicizing Split: A Divided America and adding that, for those not able to catch it on IFC, it's available from Molecular TV as a download ($2.99 for portable definition, file size 677 MB, MPG4 @ 480 x 272; $7.99 for DVD definition, file size 1.49 GB, MPG4 @ 656 x 368) or DVD ($14.99). Oh, and they've got a Twitter feed too, because I guess nothing says "divided America" like Twitter!

But seriously -- okay, but unseriously, via Mark Evanier, John Cleese explains why so many people find extremism more stimulating than moderation and rational discussion:



Didn't Tom Lehrer do a bit about this years ago? Oh yes, yes he did:



"...and everybody hates the Jews..." Ah, the old ones are sometimes the best.

0 comments: