Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Saturday, April 19, 2008

Silly Site o' the Day

Ugh. Have I slept at all? I was unconscious the moment my head hit the pillow around midnight, and didn't rouse until Datsa woke us with his meowing around 7:15, but I feel like I still need another half day or so. Yesterday was as exhausting as I should have expected. It was great to see old friends like Joe Rubinstein (who gave me the best hug hello!), Phyllis Novin, Bryan Hitch, Ken Gale, Keith DeCandido (celebrating his 39th birthday), Jamal Igle, Val D'Orazio, Janet Hetherington, Bob Greenberger, Cheryl Lynn Eaton, Leonard Kirk, Randi Mason, Vinnie Bartilucci and of course all my ComicMix colleagues, but without a set game plan or a table or the ability to get close enough to the front of the panels to take photos (the seats in the first few rows of each room are "reserved for VIPs" so press folk with normal cameras are out of luck) I felt near useless. The Lulu booth is completely subsumed by an unusually in-your-face MoCCA contingent, which has managed to actively turn us off working the table-such-as-it-is and, in fact, any thoughts of renewing our MoCCA membership. It's like the friendly folks we used to know have been replaced by MoCCA pod-people. And as large as the convention hall is, it can be traversed in under an hour... and then what?

Today is definitely going to be a truncated convention day. If we're not in the ComicMix office (#10, mid-level by the bathrooms and Kinko's), look for us in the panel area between 11 and 3, then we'll probably head home. It's not like we're important enough to be invited anywhere this evening, and even if we were it takes over an hour to get home -- nearly two hours yesterday, as the 9 PM crosstown bus left the Javits Center too late for us to connect to the 9:20 express bus at Sixth Avenue, so we had to wait another half hour. My back is still recovering from that delay. But I'll be unburdened today, just the walking stick and my new ComicMix t-shirt and my wonderful and patient husband. Here's another art-related Silly Site via Gerard, called a worm painting generator.

0 comments: