Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Monday, February 04, 2008

Brief Blogaround

Because, in addition to halving my job search in-box, sending out many resumes and paying necessary bills, I've just finished my blog reading, haven't yet scoured the news, and wanted to close open windows.

• I have no idea for whom I'm going to vote tomorrow. If Edwards is still on the ballot his name will get my vote. There are lots of things I like about both Clinton and Obama, and lots of things I don't like about each. But that's modern politics (and, to a greater extent, modern America) for you, the illusion of choice. If Edwards isn't on the ballot, I'll probably mark myself down for Obama on the basis of him being Laura's distant relative. I've certainly known elections to be decided by sillier means than that. Speaking of Edwards, I liked Melissa's farewell to him, thought Matt Bors really hit the nail on the head with this strip ("Rich, overpaid pundits can't grasp the notion of a rich, overpaid trial lawyer caring about someone seventeen income brackets below him."), and Susie points to a Ted Rall column that pretty much sums up why Edwards had to drop out.

• This one's all over, but I saw it first at Cathie from Canada's place: today NASA will broadcast the Beatles' song "Across the Universe" across the galaxy to Polaris, the North Star. "Jai guru deva," indeed!

• The comics world is abuzz about the ending of Y: The Last Man, but they've overlooked another denoument: the last installment of Rachel Hartman's The Mad Bun. Girlamatic gives Rachel a quality sendoff with a spotlight interview. In other comics news, Heidi hits the mark again with her comments about women working in "mainstream" comics (i.e., American superhero companies that pay a living-wage rate) as opposed to real-world comics (which have paid lousy in the past but contain greater fame rewards); and Rachel Edidin points to a Guardian article about women in comics, number x in a series of articles suddenly rediscovering that women read and create the stuff, which happens just about every half dozen years.

• Remember what I was saying yesterday about toeing the line politically? If you don't it can sometimes lead to nasty blogwar-type stuff, as evidenced by Zuzu's experiences with Scott & co. I've met both Zuzu and Scott on numerous occasions and like them both, but I dunno, I gotta wonder sometimes.

• Lastly, the Pareidolia Award of the Week goes to the Mars Smiley Face (via Maru). I'm considering doing a regular Pareidolia of the Week bit on this blog, as I'm pretty fascinated by the phenomenon, particularly as it relates to religious delusions.

And that'll wrap things up for now. I still feel like crap, my euphemism having arrived before my cough and congestion has fully dissipated, so I'm going for a lie-down now.

0 comments: