Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Thursday, January 17, 2008

Silly Site o' the Day

A bit of a whirlwind this past couple of days, mostly from having to get up at 6:30 AM to be out of the house early enough to commute via public transit to my morning appointments. Yesterday it was a 10:00 job interview down by the South Street Seaport, for which I'd allowed two hours although I lucked out and it only took one to get there. After that I'd planned to head up to 125th Street for a mandatory orientation at a Department of Labor career center, but the interview ran long (which I consider A Good Thing) that I showed up in Harlem a half hour late. Despite my having left a message a couple days before that this might happen, I was summarily rejected and told to return the next morning.

Alas, yesterday afternoon was a return visit to the podiatrist who had to do more toe surgery, which left me unable to wear a sneaker for the rest of the day. It actually hurts worse right now, the numbed toe being replaced by an overall soreness and swelling that I do hope goes away soon. At least I could don sneakers long enough to schlep back to Harlem (for those of you keeping score, that's a bus and two subways plus a 2-block walk, about an hour and a half total even though it's geographically closer to me than midtown Manhattan). The orientation was actually pretty good, I had no idea the career center offered so much, and all for free. The Labor Dept. person assigned to me even gave me good advice about my resume and a sheet listing tons of different online job placement sites I'd never heard of. So there you are, and once again I'm in good with NYS unemployment insurance. But damn, my foot hurt by the time I got home with the filled antibiotic prescription. I can has nap now?

I got a little sleep, but the foot still hurts like a mofo. Not attempting a shower until tomorrow, hoping to get through another interview tomorrow morning (bus and two subways again, but this one's cool as it's in the East Village where I used to work in the '80s and '90s). And yeah, I know going on about my toe is boring but I'm a whiner that way; aside from the pain it's actually been a positive week so far. Nonetheless:



Threat level generator via Gerard.

0 comments: