Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Reflective Blogaround

A pretty quiet week, except if you're taking a stand or remembering the grim anniversary of the definitive proof that the current government cannot keep its citizens safe. Digby has a timeline. Over at skippy's place, cookie jill has a handy list of Gulf Region bloggers, including Blogging New Orleans' 24-hour Katrina anniversary blogathon. Me, I'm flying a couple flags in solidarity.





Elsewhere in my corner of the blogosphere:

• Stuart Pivar has withdrawn his libel lawsuit against PZ Myers for Paul calling him a crackpot.

• Bully asks, Would you like to swing on a star? Sure you would.

• Photos from Asia! Chengdu Province over at Neil's blog (yes, it includes yummy food pics!), and Tokyo over at Cat's place, including a food post. Speaking of food posts, Marie hypes a burger in Egypt, and David Byrne reports from Red Hook.

• Cheryl reminds us there's nothing wrong with sexy, as long as it's part of a three-dimensional characterization.

• Kevin Moore has found the perfect term for my ex-husband.

• PJ wants to know why more feminists aren't up in arms over something he found in a letters column of a comic I don't read.

BoingBoing has enabled its comments again, and they're bound to be well run because Teresa Nielsen-Hayden is moderating them!

• Melissa has one of the best takes I've read on the weird new Heineken keg ad.

• Barbara follows up on her Darmok post, which I loved (that's actually the TNG episode that sticks with me the most over the years), by talking a bit more about the myth-based Bush presidency. To me, what the Darmok thing symbolizes is the public's willingness to accept superficial catchphrases and buzzwords and references without asking that they be defined. You cannot communicate with people unless both ends of the conversation are using the same reference points. This is why I stress over and over again to make politicians on all ends of the spectrum define their terms.

And here's a few maintenance notes:

• It's going to be weird not having Max Sawicky on my blogroll any more, but my fellow Rutgers alum and economics expert is moving on. One of his co-bloggers, Barkley, explains why MaxSpeak will be so missed.

• Kate Harding has expanded Shapely Prose to include co-bloggers Sweet Machine and Fillyjonk (I swear, many of us do actually use real names when we blog!), so that blog gets moved to Da Groups.

• And Kathy Kattenberg welcomes co-blogger Chief onto Liberty Street. I'd move that blog into my Dynamic Duos section, but KK's a Liberal Coalition member so it's going to stay listed under LC for now.

Well, best get to updating that template...

0 comments: