Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Absolut Despots
...whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government... when a long train of abuses and usurpations... evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security...
Happy Independence Day to my fellow Americans. Don't forget to slip 1776 into your DVD player if you have it. I hope I don't need to tell you whence the above quote originates (hint: no, it's not Keith Olbermann). As an American citizen I'm feeling a bit reduced, myself. Are we going to do our duty soon?

My Independence Day ComicMix column is up. It's my contribution to the Blog Against Theocracy blogswarm. I don't know if I succeeded in expressing my belief in belief itself exactly in the way I wanted to, but hey, who do you think I am, Thomas Jefferson or something? My ComicMix colleague Glenn has excerpted parts of the Declaration that are scarily relevant today, but what I'm really looking for that I haven't been able to find in the liberal political blogosphere (with which I've finally caught up except for the intimidating Group Blogs category) is an actual updating listing the crimes against American ideals perpetrated by the current (Boy) King George and the people who pull his strings. Does anyone know of such an update? Please respond in the comments. Update: Athenae at First Draft comes close, quoting sections of the original with links to current abuses.

Back after the Yankees game (or during if it sucks overly)...

0 comments: