Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Silly Site o' the Day

Well, it looks like Robin's straightened out most of the kinks remaining after our switch from Verizon DSL to the Optonline cable modem. He's particularly pleased with the speed increase -- here's a comparison:



And I'm happy we'll be saving money over the old arrangement, at least for the next year or so. But there were definitely glitches; whilst he was involved in a large download on Monday night I was trying to finish up my latest ComicMix column (please feel free to go there and comment on it!), perhaps foolishly typing it directly into the online edit window, and I got disconnected and lost about three paragraphs of the first draft. We think that's now been resolved by Robin plugging in a signal-boosting device in the computer room (the actual modem's in his studio as we mostly use the laptop in the living room).

He was also able to hook up the cable to the TV correctly after we discovered the technician hadn't done it correctly, and I swear we have a better picture now than we did before. And we have Optonline email addresses but so far can't figure out how to set it up on my Outlook (which hasn't worked right for at least two years thanks to a Verizon screwup) as Robin can't find any POP information on their website, so I'll probably wind up using Outlook for my personal Gmail account (as opposed to the ComicMix Gmail account I use when I'm away from the laptop) instead.

But I digress. Via my ex-husband comes this extremely amusing Japanese site. I have no idea what it's for, but the essence of a Silly Site is that sometimes that doesn't matter. It took about a minute and a half to load with Verizon; with our cable modem it was about a second or two. :)

0 comments: