Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Sunday, April 01, 2007

No Foolin'

White Rabbits, everyone. April has got to be better than March for me. Today is the last day of sitting shiva for Dad, although his absence will be felt for the rest of my life. But signs of continuance and future happiness are everywhere. Yesterday afternoon in my brother's back yard I counted ten deer, two geese and a number of crows and other smaller birds. How remarkable, to walk out on his back deck (the first time I'd left the confines of the house) and just stare at the deer, staring back at me. I think a couple of them were fawns, lighter in color and a bit smaller, but since the last time I saw deer in person was probably years ago at a zoo it was hard to tell.

And of course today is April Fool's Day, with sites like Google already getting a jump on things. Naturally the Other Place For Which I Blog has its plans, in which I suppose it's a good thing that I'm unable to fully participate, as I'm not really very good at this and somewhat in awe of those who can pull it off, such as the following:

BrownBetty -- Girl Wonder redesign

• Karen Healey - Awoken By My Prince

• Laura Gjovaag - Ripples Through Time

And that's only as of 7 AM or so. I'm not sure how often I'll be online today, as we're expecting a lot of relatives for the last shiva day, but I may come back here and periodically update what other April Foolish posts I've read.

It's also the day we celebrate as Amy's birthday. She's finally reached double digits. I'm glad I'll finally see her (and Datsa) again tomorrow. Pets are very good at helping one heal. And it's opening day for baseball. Even though there's no crying in baseball, at this point I don't know the next time I'll be able to watch a Yankees game, as they will all remind me of Dad.

0 comments: