Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Sunday, December 10, 2006

Liberal Coalition Top Ten
Week of 12/3/06 thru 12/10/06

Yesterday was fun but exhausting, as we used the GPS to trek to Ikea (I knew the way but wanted to see if the GPS did) then to Mitsuwa (my first time driving there and I'd have been lost without the GPS, which guided me to a location I suddenly remembered vividly from 20+ years ago when I used to drive there to get INSIDE JOKE printed up!) and probably did way too much walking. At this rate my foot will never completely heal! Today we're taking it easy and preparing our holiday cards (yes, "holiday" - most of my relatives and a lot of my friends don't celebrate Christmas), and after a week of being away-from-keyboard in the evenings reading the sixth Harry Potter book (conclusion: while I was fascinated for most of it, the ending disappointed me about as much as that of Empire Strikes Back in that it featured no resolution, it just sort of faded out with a last-chapter funeral scene and was all set-up for the final book including laying out the plot coupons therefore, plus the other title character's identity seemed pretty obvious to me at least 15 chapters before it was revealed) I hope to do some major bloggy catch-up, starting with the Liberal Coalition category and the posts that caught my eye from this past week:

• Bryant thinks there's probably a good reason viewers aren't flocking to the cinemas to see The Nativity Story as opposed to, say, an enjoyable and entertaining movie.

• Chris directs a Lefty's Three Questions post to specific folks, including me. My three:
What still excites you (other than that talented inker you keep around) about the comic book world?

Oh, lots of stuff. I still read and enjoy a good many stories, both from the Big Two and from other publishers. I'm very pleased by how women's participation (as creators and readers) is being taken more and more as a given in the industry, rather than an aberration. I love how community-driven comics still remains, ComicSpace being the latest example. And I'm happy about the mainstreaming of comics discussion into other entertainment media.

What issue or issues should the Dems really drive home when they officially take control of Congress next month?

Haven't thought much about it, but I believe an emphasis on competence and actually getting things done, with measurable results, never hurts. And American citizens are probably ready for a good historical reminder about how many times Democrats have had to clean up Republican messes in recent years, and that no real forward movement can begin until the backwards slide of our country is halted. Mostly I think they need to stress how little interest in governance the Republican faction that's been in power these last six years actually has.

Obama, Hillary, Edwards, Villsack...anyone in that group appeals to you, or there someone else you hope throws their hat into the ring?

Oh, I have no interest in horse races, particularly two years before the track is even readied. I think the eventual front-runner for the Democratic Presidential nomination in 2008 may very well be someone we aren't even thinking of now.
I have a question for you though, Chris - in that last question, why are all the males you mention surnames, whereas Senator Clinton is referred to by her first name? It's not like we don't know that Bill Clinton is no longer eligible to run.

• As most in the blogosphere know, Echidne has really been giving it to Chris Hitchens, who apparently believes women aren't funny because they don't think he's funny. I think he's confusing humor with stupidity, which is typical of men. [/Hitchens] Echidne's posts on Hitchens can be found here and here. Also of interest is this post from Steve G, as well as posts by non-LC member Melissa at Shakespeare's Sister, here and here.

• Horatio has switched to Blogger's new beta, which may be why I can finally see his posts again on Bloglines. Considering the problems the beta is still having, I think I'm sticking with the older version for the moment.

• Jeff provides a nice historical note about when there actually was a war on Christmas in this country.

• Ken asks about blond superheroes, and in the comments seems to regret his initial conclusion rather quickly...

• Moi recommends the ID Theft Secrets blog.

• Mustang Bobby examines the Queen's English. I think Her Maj has modulated her speech considerably over the years; when she ascended to the throne it was said her voice could cut glass. And, um, not in a good way.

• Norbizness imagines the War in Iraq as a breakfast encounter at Denny's, and examines the new American naturalization exam here and here.

• Steve G pretty much covers the many loves of Rudy Guiliani.

• Lastly, Uptown Ruler at Scrutiny Hooligans announces, sadly, that there is as of yet no space sushi. (Yes, Mitsuwa does have the best supermarket sushi I've ever tasted...)

Now off to the "warm room" (our landlord provides somewhat sporadic heat so we have a space heater set up in the bedroom) to catch a kip (yes, another 5:30 AM wake-up meowing from Datsa) and update my comics order list so I can place my order for last week's and this coming week's books. No, as a matter of fact I haven't started sorting the read comics into boxes yet, why do you ask? *sigh* Never enough hours in the day...

0 comments: