Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Sunday, December 31, 2006

Another Year Over, And A New One Just Begun

I admit I'll be relieved to be seeing the back of 2006, a frustrating year for me in many respects (mostly job- and health-related). But for me it was also a year of hope.

My last round of job interviews went quite well and I almost found a position, and I already have an interview set up during my boss' next vacation period in January; although I haven't heard anything from the website startup in a couple weeks I'm still presuming it will happen soon which will mean at least a regular writing gig if not the possibility of a stay-at-home full-time position; and even if none of that works out I've been promised a raise for taking on another task at my current position (which would alleviate some other money worries even if I remain trapped there).

We took advantage of the health benefit my employer still has through March (when our carrier phases out our current plan and we move to goodness only knows what) to buy my blood-thinning and -pressure-reducing pills mail-order in 90-day increments (cheaper than monthly at the local pharmacy) as well as get new eyeglasses for us both and orthotics for me (my old ones were 10 years old and somewhat ratty and, I'm sure, contributed to my badly-sprained ankle a couple months back) at substantially reduced cost.

We're both still here and blissfully happy in our marriage and our apartment (although not as healthy as we should be, but if my job situation changes at all I'm convinced my overall health will improve and I'll get into better physical shape); my car is still running fine at 18,000 miles if a little more scuffed for wear (and daily parking in essentially a construction zone), the cats are each a year older with no signs of slowing down yet (although I wish the 14-year-old didn't keep playing havoc with our sleep cycles), and we're in frequent touch with friends and loved ones even when we can't see them in person. We know, for all our aches and worries, we're better off than the vast majority of folks in this world, and hope that this past November's election results will prove a positive step towards redressing at least some of that inequality and suffering.

And while we're on the subject of hope, I wish all my friends and readers the best of what they wish for at this turning of the year.

0 comments: