Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Monday, November 27, 2006

Aches and Pains

The elevator ceiling just fell on me.

I knew it was going to be a weird day when I was awoken by an work-related nightmare and realized that, even after a mostly lovely 4-day weekend, office stuff had managed to creep into my subconscious again. But things were looking up after my orthopedist x-rayed my right foot just to make sure there's nothing amiss in there (there isn't, but the metatarsal area still hurts) and sent me on my way with a clean bill of health, and even though all the side parking spots were taken I was able to get the space in back closest to the entrance and very convenient to zip out for my final PT session and orthotic fitting after work. Which can't end soon enough, as we currently have no inbound phone service (making it hard to leave messages for folks unless I give them my personal cell phone number as a contact, which I prefer not to do) and my back hurts from where the loosened elevator ceiling panel (since repaired very easily) hit it.

And all I could think was "thank goodness it didn't fall on one of our tenants."

And so I'm not in the best of moods, and I skim Deepak Chopra's fifth (and, I hope to God - pun intended - last) installment of The God Delusion? and, you know, I'm neither an expert spiritualist nor an expert atheist but even I can see what complete bullshit it is, and that makes me restless. You don't conclude that "the physical world can't deliver God, not because God doesn't exist, but because the solid, physical world is an illusion" and then state, with no apparent irony, "The damage that anti-God rhetoric does is to cloud reality." Make up your mind, Chopra - either reality exists amid solid empirical evidence or it doesn't and you're the one clouding things, not "anti-God rhetoric."

And I read Tintin Pantoja's lament after she's seen the NY Times article on the proposed DC "Minx" imprint and she says, "I'd still rather support publishers who have a history of supporting women as creators as well as consumers" and talking about how female storytellers turned shoujo manga from "a moribund genre into a demographic" and I'm like, I can't argue with that. For most of my 20's my only fiction reading consisted of fantasy books written by women. Nothing to do with not liking male writers or not thinking they could do fantasy well, but I was just worn out with storytelling done from primarily a male POV. And if the Minx line has only announced one female writer right from its inception and no female artists, it seems to me Karen and Shelly may be facing an uphill battle to attract female readers (like me) who specifically look for female storytellers. And what worries me is that this might lead to the line dying a'borning and people pointing at it and saying "see, we threw beaucoup bucks at this venture trying to attract young women, let's not bother any more because, let's face it, they obviously don't want to read comics" when maybe young women just don't want to read more primarily-male-created ones.

And lastly, I note Pissed-Off Patricia's essay comparing people who are fighting and dying in a war with their fellow citizens fighting and dying here at home over material possessions. Between that and various news stories about that Colorado homeowners association banning a peace sign Christmas wreath (where's the "war on Christmas" contingent when they could really do some good?), I think I'm hanging it up for the afternoon. At least the phone people are on their way now to reconnect the inbound stuff. Alas, my boss is also on his way. How many hours till I get to go home?

0 comments: