Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Sunday, October 29, 2006

Liberal Coalition Top Ten
Week of 10/22 thru 10/28/06

Hey, enjoy the "early" switch to standard time while it lasts (via Nicole)! It looks to be gorgeous outside today, but I still haven't decided if the continued wind gusts will keep me from my last real chance at a foliage '06 trip, which we've decided is (was?) going to be the Merritt Turnpike up to Trumbull, CT just for the heck of it. I think I want to at least make the attempt; I felt something kind of shift in my ankle when I was doing the dishes on Friday night, I had the air cast off all day yesterday as we didn't go out in the horrid weather, and the area's still sore but I'm putting full weight on both legs now so I want to try doing some out-of-the-house walking, cramps permitting. Robin's catching up on more sleep at present, having been up a bit in the night, so in the meantime I'm keeping up on my blog reading and Liberal Coalition blogaround:

• Happy belated blogiversaries to Bryant (four years) and Chris (three years)! Great to see so much longevity among the LC contingent.

Bora was interviewed along with a bunch of other science bloggers.

• Charles2 reminds us how safe we still aren't under Republican rule.

• Echidne has more thoughts about false balance, or "equivalating" as Justin puts it (see my post from yesterday), and updates us on the French government's family subsidy policies.

• Jeff details the latest biblical battle in Bozeman, and Kenneth doesn't like people telling him they're praying for him as he considers it proselytizing. This brings to mind a continuing discussion I'm having with Robin, who believes that freedom of religion doesn't include freedom from religion, and therefore taking offense at someone's genuine desire to intercede with their god on your behalf is a form of free speech infringement. Of course I believe that "freedom of" does imply "freedom from," and admit I've often reacted quite rudely to strangers coming up to me on the street with a burning need to inform me that "Jesus loves you," and so far neither of us has managed to convince the other of our positions.

• John talks about what could be the oldest surviving human footprints in this hemisphere.

• Lots of great photo essays from LC members this week - I highly recommend Jude's pictorial of Clinton in Syracuse, Michael's views of Minneapolis, and NTodd's walk in the rain and particularly the celebration after Kayla's homecoming.

• Keith submits some suggestions for six-letter stories, but they sound more like headlines to me.

• Mustang Bobby live-blogged the Florida senate debate, and yawned afterward.

• Natalie passes along the sad news that Phil Lesh has prostate cancer.

• Scott has a confession - he actually loved an SUV, and was astounded by how fast he didn't realize he was going. This goes a long way toward explaining a lot of folks on the road nowadays; many of them probably have no idea how dangerously fast they're driving because they can't feel it in those gas-guzzling monsters.

• Scrutiny Hooligans pass along the announcement of a new Tolkein-authored publication.

• Steve B brings us an old wax cylinder recording of Walt Whitman, who had a very nice voice, reading one of his poems.

• Steve G examines the atmosphere around Cloud Cuckoo Land.

A few more recommended links from outside of the LC:

Ken Jennings meets Dave Sim.

• Pam Noles couldn't believe it when an otherwise-hip LA audience turned on Eddie Izzard.

Chicago dyke alerts us to the death of not only habeaus corpus but the Posse Comitatus Act - I had no idea the President now had the discretion to declare a “public emergency” any damn place in this country (and for any pretext) he feels like, and to station troops there take control of National Guard units without the consent or permission of any local authorities, in order to “suppress public disorder.” It's all in Section 1076, if you want to do a page search on the full text (also available as a PDF). Be afraid, be very afraid.

• More from Chris about Zeke. Hits those tear ducts every time.

Well, time to wake Robin and get that air cast on!

0 comments: