Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Hobbled

Well, the appointment itself went just fine. Getting there was the problem. I'd planned to take a nice early bus just in case there was traffic, but the bus, which was supposed to be at the stop at 9:20, whizzed by around 9:13 just as Robin and I were descending the steep decline of 262nd Street. And I did something stupid. Instead of reasoning "it's okay, the next bus is in half an hour, I can certainly stand there even though I won't exactly like it and I should still make it in just fine for an 11 AM appointment," I ran for it. For about two steps. Before my right ankle completely caved in on me from the side.

Robin had to return to the apartment to fetch the walking stick, while I stood at the bus stop for the next half hour (no seats at that kiosk!), then accompany me into the city (thank goodness for the flexibility of freelance work!) then back. Walking through the one block of Bryant Park took about fifteen minutes at least, not counting when I stopped and sat and put on the ankle brace he'd bought which didn't mitigate the pain one bit. The one-block walk back from the express bus terminus to our house, and especially up the two flights of steps to our apartment, was no picnic either.

As I type I'm still in considerable pain, which intensifies into unbearable agony when I put any weight on my right foot. Going to work tomorrow should be interesting. I think I can drive okay; as that doesn't involve putting weight on the foot itself. But getting between the car and home, or between the car and work... I'm not exactly looking forward to that.

Of course, if today's appointment results in success, it will all have been worth it.

0 comments: