Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Monday, June 26, 2006

Ask A Comics Geek, Part the Second

People, people, people. Why are you surprised that the most recognized character in comic books has a rich and varied history entirely outside of TV shows? Yeah Eli, I'm talking to you. Like I said last time, all you need to do is Ask a Comics Geek! Sheesh.

"Hey, Comics Geek," you could have asked, "does Superman really have a 60+ year history where the character reflected the time period in which the comic book was published?" To which I would probably have replied "Duh, just about all characters and their stories do that," but that would just be me being snarky which is easily ignored.

"Hey, Comics Geek," you might continue, although this time the "you" is purely theoretical, "what about that Home Shopping Network show earlier this evening with that Nick fellow? Is it on the level?" And I'd reply, yes, Nick Barrucci is a terrific guy and obviously mad about comics and loves doing every minute of his HSN spots and tells it straight about all the important things.

"Like what the comics merchandise he sells is really worth?" Well, that depends on how much you want it, doesn't it? I have most of the lower-end comics Nick was hawking this evening, but I'm not HSN's target audience here. Any comic, any print, any giclee is worth exactly what the market will bear. And that includes stuff with signatures. Some people think original signatures make comics increase in value, and I'm sure many do, particularly if the signer is, sadly, no longer with us. Others believe signatures deface comics that would otherwise be "mint." Most of us who actually read the stuff only get signatures if we're at conventions and want to use them as an excuse to chat with the writers and artists we like. Or, um, if the comps for a new issue of BoP come in and we demand our husband sign a copy for us, but never mind that.

"So, I bet you're gearing up for the new Superman movie, huh Comics Geek? Gonna camp out overnight?" Me? I haven't even seen the newest X-Men movie yet, is that still in the theaters? I'm content to wait for the DVD, or even television. Then again, I'm still waiting for Sky Captain to circulate on a premium cable channel that I have and goodness knows when that'll happen...

So, anyone out there who isn't a regular comics reader have any actual questions they'd like to Ask a Comics Geek?

0 comments: