Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Thursday, April 20, 2006

Best Laid Plans

It's actually just another link dump - a gathering of blog posts I found good reading and worth mentioning and passing on here - but it's also an admission of defeat of sorts. The two things I was mentioning in my last post that I hoped wouldn't happen (the uncompensated property management job and the uncompensated personal assistant job) have both kept recurring in a big way today, and have left me totally drained. Part of it is physical (one building problem is the lack of properly working AC today) but most of it is emotional, which feeds into my physical well-being and perpetuates the cycle of despair, and when I think I could have been interviewing for a potential "dream job" right at this moment if a coworker hadn't suddenly decided to take a vacation day-- damn, there goes my blood pressure again. Deep breaths, this too shall pass, sit back and think of England...

Anyway, here's some good reading from some wonderful women:

Don't get Teresa angry. You wouldn't like her when she's angry. Actually, I adore her like this, and she's not angry so much as incredulous that one of the 20 worst agents would keep digging herself in deeper and deeper. Spread the word, this woman of which she writes sounds like a real wingding.

I love this cool bit of pop culture history from Colleen.

I have five posts bookmarked from Heidi, so I feel like just sending you there to read her entier blog, but I wanted to note these specific entries anyway:
* Musings on intellectual curiosity
* She's going to be a guest at the Toronto Comicon's Women of Comics symposium
* The Graphic Novel Quorum at the 2006 Women Writers Conference in Kentucky this weekend
* The detailed FoL Empowerment Fund, and more about women in nerditry
It's all Heidi so it's all good.

Xeni at BoingBoing talks about "stupid crap that female tech writers have to put up with." Sounds familiar...

Lastly, Carla's son is becoming a master debater, and I give much applause to August Pollak (okay, one guy) and his cartoon Self-Martyr Magazine. Yes, Virginia, there is a difference between censorship and editing, and there's no such thing as an inherent right to be published on demand.

0 comments: