Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Saturday, March 11, 2006

Silly Site o' the Day

Yesterday a couple coworkers kept asking me why I didn't see my doctor about the cough, seeing as how it had been at least two weeks since I first took ill, and I related the story of how Robin and I had gone for our checksups last year just as he was going through something similar, and she gave us a pulmonary test and he had a major relapse and the only medication she gave both of us was Flonase, on which I'd given up last year after the 2-week trial because it didn't seem to do anything (and besides, I was still addicted to Neo-Synephrine then, from which I've since weaned myself completely after the hospital heart scare, so I'm convinced it wouldn't have allowed the Flonase to work anyway). Then as another coworker and I were leaving, she obvserved that what I had sounded like an allergy-related cough, which she gets as well this time of year, and not just the leftover from my fever a few weeks back.

Those conversations stuck in my head, and last night I dug out the Flonase from the back of the linen closet shelf and started using it again, and while my chest and throat still feel a bit stuffy this morning I'm hardly coughing at all. Even though I think my doc is sometimes too quick to prescribe stuff, particularly stuff of which she receives free samples, I do like the flowery smell of the Flonase as I inhale it. And if it actually works, who am I to complain? So I think I'm finally moving forward a bit, and having caught up on my immediate finances (we hope to do our taxes tomorrow) and blog-reading (I've even voted in all the Koufax Awards categories - remember, first-round polls close tomorrow! - except Best Post, Blog Most Deserving of Wider Recognition and Best New Blog, as I want to actually read through the entries first which has been my plan for some time) I think I'm in pretty good shape. I'm even going to try getting on the bike again today, for the first time in at least a month. So here's to the coming spring, a time of renewal both within and without, and let's hope we keep El Nino at bay (via Lauren at Feministe).

0 comments: