Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Sunday, February 05, 2006

Post-Game Wrap-Up

Hey, the Stones only got bleeped twice, for "cocks" and "come" (the latter as in "you make a dead man [blank]"). Not a bad ratio for only three songs.

Funniest Second-Half Ad - The Nationwide ad with Fabio, with and then without makeup. Okay, needlessly cruel, sorry, but then I kept expecting a bird to fly along and smack into his face again.

Best Self-Aware Ad - Okay, I admit it, the Dove self-esteem ad made me smile; even though the problem of girls' low self-esteem is caused in major part by corporate advertising, at least they're keeping their own house clean. And we need all the enlightened self-interest we can get to combat those horrid GoDaddy and Honda Truck ads.

Best Un-Self-Aware Ad - Yes, I'd say a Hummer is pretty much a monster. Great CG imaging, horrid planet-eating car. I thought the folks wearing the protective suits in the following ad were doing so because of all the poison the local Hummers spit into the atmosphere.

Best Nostalgia Ad (not counting the Rolling Stones halftime show) - I never watched McGuyver, but I was kind of hoping that MasterCard ad would end with Richard Dean Anderson driving the truck to Stargate HQ or something.

Best Use of Yakety Sax - The Sprint couch-on-fire ad, of course.

0 comments: