Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Saturday, December 17, 2005

A Winter's Late Autumn Stroll

As mentioned below, we went into Manhattan today, mostly so I could close out a bank account from a place where I'd been banking for almost 30 years but which has no branches around where we live now and has been screwing up my name and address changes for at least the past seven years so I'd had enough and opened a new account with the bank downstairs where I work. That done, the almost-impossible-to-find Cadie pop-up sponges bought in quantity at a local Gristede's (a supermarket which only seems to abound in that borough), and our sushi brunch eaten (yes Mom, lower-sodium soy sauce and I dipped a lot less than normal), we decided to walk around a bit and see if we could spot some cool store windows and get in a few more errands. Of course I took pictures.

We walked across 23rd and started up Fifth. I seem to recall that this building pictured on the left used to have a Christmas-all-year store, but I think it's a hotel now. Still, the windows are always cheery this time of year (click on it to see an enlarged version), although we could have done without the bars. Our goal was to reach Lord & Taylor to see the Unwrap the Wonder fairy tale display, and for some reason I thought it was at 34th and Fifth but it wasn't at that corner when we got there and I didn't remember it was only four more blocks up or we would have kept going. But we didn't know that yet...



Fifth and 27th. Which naturally leads to...



Balls! Actually, this was taken on the bus home, at some point (probably my being pissed that I couldn't remember the L&T cross street) I put the camera away in disgust. We saw the Macy's displays from last year along 34th Street, but not the ones from this year on Broadway as I didn't know that's where we needed to look and we were getting tired and somewhat frustrated at that point (traversing 34th a couple times to go to two Payless stores in search of another pair of the comfy sneakers I bought last week probably didn't help, although I did procure said item). I don't have very good luck at window displays, I'll need to plan better next time! Anyway, we were plumb tuckered out after getting some rather hefty packages from Midtown, more about which below, so we visited Godiva (mistake #2, their hot chocolate is expensive and stingy!) and didn't even have enough energy to browse the Bryant Park holiday shops whilst waiting for the bus home.



Rob was in a bit of a grouchy mood, despite listening to Christmas music on his iPod. But that's not why I took this picture when we passed Lincoln Center. Here, let me zoom in a bit...



That's right, a herd of Santas, no doubt running amok! Be afraid, be very afraid! (And I agree, there really ought to be a collective noun for Santas, and "plague" is a poor one.)



This monstrosity is why we decided to quit while we were ahe-- uh, while we somewhat broke even in terms of the day's enjoyment and our stamina, and not push ourselves to go to a movie as well. Rob only had to schlep it a block to the bus then a half a block home, but that was bad enough. The sucker is heavy! Here's its temporary home in Robin's studio (note the bluelined pages-to-be-inked on the shelf below). We decided to take a couple reaction shots of the cats.



Amy seems to take to it...



...while Datsa appears a bit leery. Oh, and by the way,


this page was first printed in the newspapers exactly one hundred years ago today. (As with the others, click on the picture to see a larger image). All in all, not a bad day, lots and lots of walking done (doctor's orders!) and only one blister found so far...

0 comments: