Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Silly Site o' the Day

So yesterday this huge-ass orange 5-drawer lateral filing cabinet was brought up from the basement to my new office for the purposes of holding my boss' hanging files, and today I went to hang the files but discover it doesn't have any rails or bars so I can't actually hang anything in it, which was probably why it was in the basement being used for storage in the first place. So I wasted two hours this morning online and on the phone trying to track down bars/rails, only to discover that these accessories, when they are sold separately (which they usually aren't), are not a universal-fit kinda thing, and the cabinet was made in 1972 and the company that made it sold their business to another place that's no longer in existence and, long story short, I have this huge useless box sitting in my new office and my boss refuses to listen to me. I really, really need a new job. I need a laugh as well. Maybe I can run off and join a secret society, like the Cult of the Eye (via Nona at Ring of Fire).

Update: This is why he's the boss. He took one look at the cabinet, and ascertained that the back part of each drawer comes out (it's riveted in on each side) and slides forward to accommodate letter-sized hanging folders. The cabinet stays. He has assured me it will be repainted in time, but the garish '70s-style orange color is actually starting to grow on me...

0 comments: