Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Which Side Are You On?

Excellent program tonight on our local PBS station, which has been giving all kinds of musical treats this week including Scorcese's Dylan docu No Direction Home and Best of the Beatles (where a surprisingly fascinating Pete Best and family got together some equally fascinating folks to talk about the pre-Love Me Do days when he was the fabbest of the four) which I blame in their entirety for my lack of blog catch-up of late. You really should try to see this one if you can, it's called Get Up, Stand Up: The Story of Pop and Protest, and it's far more comprehensive than I'd expected. I had it in my head that modern protest music started with Arlo's dad and the Hudson River savior, but shame on me for not recalling Joe Hill! The only real glaring omission - and perhaps this is purely from my viewpoint - was in pretty much ignoring the women's movement and feminist singers like Holly Near (or any mention at all of events like Lilith Fair or Rock for Choice). Another example of "women's issues" not being considered "protest issues" by the larger progressive movement, or just a matter of "not enough room to fit everything in"? Nonetheless, a very worthwhile program, and I'd also highly recommend the show's links page for anyone wishing to broaden their musical horizons.

0 comments: