Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Thursday, September 29, 2005

Challenging Reading

I don't read books like I used to, now that I no longer commute on public transit and most of my reading time is devoted to blogs and comics. But I read a lot when I was younger, particularly in school and then in my former job working for a book component printer so, in answer to the current survey making the blog-rounds, here are the Most Frequently Challenged Books in my particular reading past:

3. I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou

7. Harry Potter (Series) by J.K. Rowling (except for the most recent, as I'm waiting for the British paperback edition to come out)

9. Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson

19. Sex by Madonna (submitted to the NY Book Show back when I was processing entries, so I had a chance to peruse it and gah, what a piece of pretentious crap)

22. A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle

39. The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison

42. Beloved by Toni Morrison

47. Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes

52. Brave New World by Aldous Huxley

56. James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl

69. Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut

Note that these are just the books off the Top 100 list that I've read, and it's not meant to imply I retained anything. My fiction retention skills deteriorate further every year...

0 comments: