Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Thursday, November 04, 2004

Bam!

Love me some Food Network. What with the baseball and the elections and the Hey Lady!, I had no idea that my local cable system finally added this channel onto its offerings until yesterday. You must understand, I'm the kind of person who craves all those PBS cooking shows during the weekends because I've been Food Network-deprived for so long. There's just something about the culinary arts that fascinate and inspire me. If it didn't involve so much standing and sous-cheffery and, oh yeah, some sort of innate talent for it, I might have gone into that career myself. As it is I can follow recipes pretty well but am usually too tired or ill-equipped to do terribly much beyond an entree and perhaps thawing a frozen veg or two. Still, I'm trying to think of a good 3-minute video pitch for their Be The Next Food Network Star contest. The Two Fat Ladies already took the jolly-portly angle, so I'm thinking of going with "essentially lazy but practical and stream-of-consciousness but probably only borderline telegenic" but it needs work. "Okay look, here's how you do this, and you need the right tools and stuff which is a mistake a lot of beginning cooks make, and if you can have your husband or maybe your cat dice the garlic and ginger it would help a lot 'cause then all you have to do is slather it on..." Hmm, this may require a little more thought. In any case, it's just neat to have the network at last, and of course my TV will be tuned to it constantly until I get bored of it, which I guess will probably be in a couple of weeks when I start seeing reruns. Until then, scusa but I have to watch more Iron Chef! Tonight - eel!! (Yes, we did "sush" this evening, why do you ask?)

0 comments: