Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Monday, October 18, 2004

A Place For Our Stuff

Robin has been moving the comics boxes from the third bedroom out into the living room for my Big Sort before we finally shelve them and have a proper comics library/reference room. He also covered empty corners where the bookcases meet on the top with wood panels, and when I looked at all the empty space up top where I thought the cats (especially Amy) might roam, I said "oh, maybe I can put some of my stuffed animals and lobster-tchatchke collection up there." Whereupon he said "Or...or..." followed by a look that had me searching for the bulb that had just lit over his head. He proceeded to carry out his plan, and this is what resulted:

We had been dreading putting our 16+ magazine boxes up in the loft, but we knew we couldn't leave them in the living room. As it 'appens, they fit very nicely atop the shelves. We have 7 across the right two shelves and 9 (so far) across the left three; at the other corner one more shelf meets the left-most one you can't see in this picture, and that's where we'll continue the 3 other boxes I ordered today (we'd packed more magazines than mag boxes so we used 3 regular moving boxes for the rest), and while I was at it I ordered 20 more comics longboxes for future storage and to aid in sorting (we currently have 17 small moving boxes worth of comics in addition to the loose ones we've accumulated since the move, so I wanted to be proactive so we can transfer everything into the longboxes next time we need to go through this). I feel like this room is finally going to start taking shape.

One more picture before I return to the baseball game: I'm a bit behind in blog reading again, between my boss' return, watching the playoffs and reading The Book during the evenings, and going for a bit of a drive yesterday up to Tarrytown. We wanted to scope out where we could catch the NY Waterway ferry that does the North Hudson cruise in case the weather's nice next weekend, and it was a good thing we did as it's fairly tucked-away and complicated. I may share a couple photos tomorrow; meantime I did want to post this one from our trip to the Hudson River Museum on the way home:

Yes, it's a giant chicken made from matchsticks. Don't ask. And don't get all excited, Glovefox, it's not a robot (and where are those pictures you promised to send?)...

0 comments: