Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Thursday, June 17, 2004

Sweet Sounds

When we moved from south Riverdale, I was afraid I wouldn't hear the Metro-North train whistle any more. And I loved the way the thunder rumbled around hilly Ewen Park across from us. Well, now I can hear the train whistle both at home and at work (without a car I can't be sure, but I think we live probably about four blocks away from the Hudson River now, pretty much right between the Riverdale and Ludlow stations) and at work (right across from the New Rochelle station on the New Haven line). I've always loved that sound, it conjures up images of interesting travelers relaxing and taking in great vistas and... MURDER! No, just kidding. I generally love train travel (unless it's of the mandatory-commuting variety) and for me the whistle hearkens back to a time of simplicity and wonder. Watching the rain from my tall office windows is also pretty cool and soothing, and we had a doozy of a thunderstorm this afternoon. Far less soothing were the tenants complaining about leaks from the roof...

0 comments: