Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Sunday, July 27, 2003

Blogathon 2003, Post #31 (The Witching Hour)
IO My Wasted Time To…
As I mentioned back on June 19, we've upgraded our cable system to iO. And while we still don't get BBC America or the Food Network or a few others that seem to come with the basic package of most normal other cable services, all in all we're pretty satisfied with the new stuff we are getting. My favorite "new" channels to watch so far include: VH1 Classic , since (as I mentioned in the comments section on one of Eszter's Blogathon posts) I kinda stopped following music closely around the cutoff years for their play rotation (late '80s) so they’re right in my video comfort zone; the Travel Channel, although it's a bit too US-centric and seems to be to Las Vegas what The History Channel is to Hitler; MagRack, a very cool free service that features segments on various topics (this is where I get my cooking-show fix) that you can set to play whenever you want, and rewind or fast-forward or pause as you’re watching; Discovery Home & Leisure for another cooking-show fix, "Death by Chocolate" (btw, Eszter also reported earlier that someone’s Blogathon 2003 theme is chocolate, which I think is way cool); the Game Show Network, where I'm all but addicted to Lingo despite my usual low Chuck Woolery tolerance (although I haven't yet played along online because my computer and the TV are in separate rooms); Turner Classic Movies, the only "basic" channel that seems to show old musicals with any regularity; and, because we subscribe to HBO and apparently now Starz! we also get all their spin-off networks, which meant that I was able to flip back and forth last Thursday between Jon Stewart interviewing Joseph Wilson and Gene Kelly dancin' and Singin' In The Rain on HBO Signature West. So far we think the few extra bucks have been worth the upgrade, since we felt we were woefully underserved and overcharged previously. But honestly, it's a wonder that I even find time to blog any more. :)

0 comments: