Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Saturday, June 28, 2003

Around the Square Garden

Just got back from a lovely evening out following the Madison Square Garden comic convention (formally the "NY International Sci-Fi & Fantasy Creators Convention"). While Robin stayed home and worked, I went in early to Pearl to buy him some ink, then to the con where I saw and hugged and kissed lots of friends, sat a spell with Peter David (link at sidebar) and Bob Almond and Rod Ramos, got a couple sketches from new Legion penciller Chris Batista and inker (and Penciljack contributor) Chip Wallace, met Jawaplumber (Josh Hill) from the comics boards and Wayne from the Comicart list and fellow blogger Augie DeBlieck (link at sidebar), and actually had George Pérez say "Hi, Elayne!" as I was talking to Tom Smith who was sitting next to him (I've known George for awhile but I guess I'm still surprised that he knows me). Robin was able to make it up around 5:15 or so, and we had a terrific sushi dinner with Tim and Molly Townsend, Scott St. Pierre (who bought me a lovely rose!) and fiancée Karen, Ron Garney and girlfriend Erin, Heidi MacDonald and Charlie Boatner. Took a few pictures which I'm sending to Heidi, and Ron did an amazing sketch for Scott's sketchbook which had us all slack-jawed. Exhausting day (I arrived at the con at around 12:30 and had hit a wall by 3, from which I didn't recover until about 8 or so) but, as always, worth it. We won't be going back tomorrow - I'll be home, um, reflecting, and Robin's got a tight deadline, so thanks again to Spencer Beck for comping us for the day, and we promise we'll do a table next year!

0 comments: