Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Wednesday, February 19, 2003

Health v Wealth

Even though I still have a touch of the bug, my PCP (remember when that meant something very different from "primary care physician"?) pronounced me okie-dokie (sorry for the arcane medical terminology) during my annual physical today, which is always a load off my mind. Still borderline-high blood pressure, but both that and my weight have dropped a bit since two years ago, not so's you'd notice. She didn't tell me anything I didn't already know, which is always A Good Thing as it means no surprises. Gonna undergo the blood test routines to see if my ALT levels are still wacko-for-no-discernable-reason-meaning-I-still-can't-give-blood, as I never did get that fully looked into back in '01 (it involves a sonogram too, and I'm never eager to undergo any procedure that blatantly reminds me of my infertility). I'm apparently also getting to the age when I need boosters for TB and tetanus, as I can't remember when I last had those shots. Fortunately my doctor is sensible enough not to bring up anthrax or ricin or whatever the scary-substance-du-jour is. I didn't even get asked about a flu shot this time! Much less tsuris than this whole dwelling-hunting headache, which we've all but put on hold for another year, biting the rent increase bullet, so that Robin can again concentrate on work. With so many things in flux (Robin's continued lack of a regular assignment, the world situation, etc.) it's imperative to hang on to as many signs of stability as we can. Oh, and I should mention in response to yesterday's comment section that the fellow who keeps track of out-of-office time has designated yesterday a "personal" day for me instead of a sick day, as I have so many vacation/personal days left that I'd never use 'em all by August even if we were to move, and so my pay doesn't get docked, hoorah!

0 comments: