Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Tuesday, September 10, 2002

It's unavoidable. Should it be?

Someone on the Comicon message boards passed on this URL. Oh, and this one too. Frankly, I think the sites are brilliant commentary on the media circus that the commemoration of one of our nation's most solemn days seems to have become, in just one short year. It reminds me of a magician's misdirection trick; whilst domestically our much-vaunted freedoms are being stripped away by the self-appointed (or Supreme Court-appointed) People In Charge, the lapdogs in the media bark "Look over there at Ground Zero, you can almost see the rubble still smoking! You can't? Here, let us show it to you again! And again!"

Because we are nothing if not a Media Bandwagon country, allow me to indulge in one of the biggest catch-phrase clichés making the rounds at present. I feel like every time I see the Towers, and our civil rights, being hit and crumbling, the terrorists have won.

I plan to watch no television tomorrow at all.

0 comments: