Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Monday, June 15, 2015

Remembering the Eighties

It's done. I've come full circle, in a way. In my first-ever blog post, I mentioned a zine I used to self-publish from 1980 through 1990 called INSIDE JOKE. IJ was kind of my first, best foray into the wider world of one-to-many communication, the way we all did it in the years after photocopying became cheap and before the internet made snail-mailed newsletters cost-prohibitive compared to websites and blogs. Anyway, as I may have mentioned I spent a day during my last vacation week scanning in all 80 issues of IJ and Drop Boxing them to Tom Gedwillo, who wanted to host them on his Chromium Switch website, where my other '80s/'90s zine Four-Alarm FIRESIGNal resides.

This past weekend I wrote what I hope is a fairly comprehensive overview of IJ and such, which Tom also put on his site. And at long last, every single issue of INSIDE JOKE is online and available for download. I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed putting it together.

0 comments: