Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Thursday, January 08, 2015

C'est Si Ne Pas Un "Je Suis Charlie"

I've finally put my finger on what's been bothering me in terms of supporting the French cartoonists at Charlie Hebdo. I was pretty unimpressed with the cartoons I saw which incited the awful terroristic killings, I found them crude and childish and certainly much more scatalogical than satirical, in keeping with the Python description of the French as "farting in your general direction." Then I realized, how was my reaction to the cartoons any different than the reactions of people to rape victims when they say "dressed that way, she was asking for it" or "she should have known better than to get into a situation where she was in a hotel room/drunk/at a party" etc. etc. Yes, the cartoons may have been designed to elicit a violent reaction, but the violence itself is the fault of the terrorists, not of the cartoonists. Even if they were "dressed that way," the thing that causes rape is the presence of a rapist, and the thing that causes violence is the presence and mindset of a violent person. The violence is the thing that needs to end, not the mockery.

0 comments: