Let's get one of my favorite months started right. Not too many saved bookmarks (and at least a third are from The Mary Sue which I'm sure many Pen-Elayne readers read already), but I'm trying not to let them build up too much:
- I need to start with cute news. The Mary Sue has a great video Target made featuring comic book artist Cat Staggs and her writer wife Amanda Delbert - do go watch it, it's adorable!
- I for one welcome the "new breed of attendees" overlords at next week's NY Comic Con. But then, Robin and I don't attend cons to make money. It'd be nice if it happens, but I don't think we've ever recouped our monetary investment. If B-list creators can't think of any other reason to have a presence at a comic con, perhaps they shouldn't attend.
- In case you were wondering why there are no Saturday morning cartoons on the networks any more like there were when we were kids, get with the program, it's the 21st century. No seriously, Mark Evanier has a good and thorough explanation.
- Lots of places have weighed in on the weird Emma Watson nude photo threat hoax - I recommend Victoria McNally at The Mary Sue, Katherine Cross at Feministing, PZ Myers and Jessica Valenti. Here's a hint for you, SocialVEVO - you don't satirize sexist idiots by doing something idiotically sexist yourself.
- Speaking of hoaxes, really? People thought that "third boob surgery" thing was real? Seriously, when did we as a society become as gullible as me as an individual?
- Like many others, Robin and I slogged through Ken Burns' interminably long yet fascinating documentary series on the Roosevelts, and Lance Mannion supplements that with a review of Theodore Roosevelt in the Badlands: A Young Politician's Quest for Recovery in the American West.
- Juliana at Feministing has some good ideas for feminist Hallowe'en costumes. Can't I just go as
SexySexist DC Marketing Misfires this year?
- I keep wanting to steer as clear as possible from Uber. Matt at The Awl details another reason to do so.
- Whither the modern atheist movement? PZ Myers has his finger on the pulse, and is none too optimistic.
- Patrick lets the Guardian's Jonathan Jones have it regarding just how green NYC is.
- Speaking of Patrick, whom we really need to see again so he and Robin can have a Beatles trivia-off, here's a great article on Sir Paul McCartney from ReBeat magazine, care of a Fab 4 Facebook page. Yes, I've joined a couple of Those Facebook Groups. I don't know what I was thinking. Other than getting to read good articles and look at some pretty photos of the lads from Liverpool.
- In case you were wondering what's going on with a couple of NY's bridges, Laughing Squid points to a good little NYT short video about the Brooklyn Bridge and the Tappan Zee. The new Tappan Zee bridge looks like it'll be wonderful.