Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Saturday, September 07, 2013

Going All the Way to Eleven

On 7 September 2012 I started this here blog. I was hoping to post more in the past year than I had in previous years, but for the most part this has become a holding pattern for Silly Sites (not that there's anything wrong with that) and a pointer to Facebook photo albums, rather than the writing outlet it had been for me when I started. I still love writing, but have come to believe more and more that it's something I'll do full-time after retiring from my paying job, which I also love. Some people, like Robin, were born to follow their creative muses and enter the freelance world, and some people, like me, were born with less courage but perhaps more organizational ability and desire for financial security. Still, it's nice to have a place to which I can retreat when I do want to write about things, and even as the world moves on to social networks and insta-tumblr-vining, I'm going to hang on to this relic of the early 21st century as long as Google retains Blogger as a platform. Who knows how long that'll be; none of us were prepared for the demise of Google Reader, although I can at least keep up with Feedly on my phone and my home desktop (alas, it still doesn't work with Internet Explorer, the only browser I have at the office). Time and tech marches on, and more than ever it's evolve or die. While we were in the UK we witnessed the last gasps of dial-up and had our American credit card refused because it didn't have a chip. Who knows what's around the bend tomorrow. So I'm going to enjoy this bloggy ride while it lasts, and thank you all again for continuing to read.

0 comments: