Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Sunday, September 25, 2011

Brava

Doubtless the people who most need to understand this will never do so, but that's no reason to stop trying, and I'm glad so many feminist readers still have the energy::
Female characters are only insatiable, barely-dressed aliens and strippers because someone decided to make them that way. It isn't a fact. It isn't an inviolable reality, especially in a comic book universe that has just been rebooted. In the end, what matters is what you choose to show people and how you show them, not the reasons you make up to justify it. Because this is comics, everybody. You can make up anything.

Most of all, what I keep coming back to is that superhero comics are nothing if not aspirational. They are full of heroes that inspire us to be better, to think more things are possible, to imagine a world where we can become something amazing. But this is what comics like this tell me about myself, as a lady: They tell me that I can be beautiful and powerful, but only if I wear as few clothes as possible. They tell me that I can have exciting adventures, as long as I have enormous breasts that I constantly contort to display to the people around me. They tell me I can be sexually adventurous and pursue my physical desires, as long as I do it in ways that feel inauthentic and contrived to appeal to men and kind of creep me out.
Via The Mary Sue.

1 comments:

Dwight Williams said...

They keep finding ways to make it emotionally easy for me to stick to trade collections of pre-Flashpoint material.