Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Sunday, May 16, 2010

Windowless

I think I may have infected Robin with Doing Stuff Fever. Ever since my Windows-based PC was hit with that malware a couple months ago, our Mac laptop has been doing double duty as my desktop. Today finally we got rid of both my old Windows-based PC towers. I still use Windows programs on the Macbook, via the Windows emulator Parallels, which allows me to connect to the office remotely if I need to. And at least one hard drive and CD/DVD drive from the old machines are usable. But the towers and particularly all their attendant wires? Totally in my way. So Robin did an amazing job dismantling and getting rid of it all, and here's the result:



Both USB multi-hub stations have all the wires out of the way, and the one on the right with the white wires only needs to come forward when I'm working with my digital camera or recharging my iPod. I have more desk top space than ever now! And under-desk space as well; all my important papers, as well as my blood pressure and blood sugar monitors, are now easily within arm's reach. The only "casualty" is that one of our old scanners doesn't work with the Mac, and since I want to start scanning in old INSIDE JOKEs (which PDFs Tom Gedwillo has graciously offered to house at his Old Same Place) I'll have to get a new one, but scanners are pretty cheap.

I really love organizing, and I couldn't have done any of this myself, so I'm glad Robin turned out to be in the mood to do it today. The next major organizing project: filing away comics! Maybe by Independence Day...

0 comments: