Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Saturday, August 29, 2009

Picnic and the Park

A busy week for this li'l photographer, as our company picnic was on Monday and the Yankee Stadium trip on Wednesday. As ever, clicken to embiggen, and enjoy:



We left NYC bright and early (like 8 AM) on Monday morning. At that point, coming off a nasty flu bug over the weekend, I had no idea if I would be able to make it through the day.



But being in the suburbs, with blue skies dotted with dramatic clouds, was starting to make me feel better.



As were these cute wind chimes.



Here's another.



They were all part of my favorite part of the campground, the gazebo. Pretty far from where everyone else was, and a bit of an uphill grade which kind of wore me out in my condition, it was still the best and quietest place to be. I introduced my fellow admins to it, and one even took a nap on one of its benches!



And check it out - tetherball poles! I was a tetherball champ when I was a day camp kid myself, have a couple trophies to prove it. I did a stupid thing and spent five hatless minutes in the killer sun batting that ball around. I never felt more kidlike in my life. I then took to the shade and rested for the remainder of the day.

I was feeling ever so much better by Wednesday, though, when my supervisor and I took in the Yankees game courtesy of another coworker with season tickets.



The entrance way is very dramatic.



And everything in the store is extremely overpriced, of course. I guess they figure, you're paying an arm and a leg for tickets, we may as well take the rest of your limbs here. Alas, no Yankee earrings.



Once you get a look at the field, though, you're amazed at how intimate it really seems.



Not sure if those are the players in the shorts or just the grounds crew. Probably the latter.



For some reason this guy reminded me of a politically incorrect lawn ornament or cigar store Indian. Much more 1903 than 2003!



I loved the various scenes of Yankee history spread out above the concession stands.



Yes, they had sushi. Yes, I had to buy some. Yes, it was expensive. Yes, it was delicious.



Here's where our seats were, right by the left-field foul pole.



A better shot of the pole, with the DirecTV blimp passing behind it.



The blimp looked like it couldn't have been more than like 100 feet up. Maybe that was the atmospherics. It was kind of muggy.



But, like I said, intimate. I got a good look at Alex Rodriguez' backside most of the time. If that's your kind of thing.



And not that bad a look at him at-bat either.

It was tons of fun, but I was too busy keeping score and sipping Guinness to take many photos. Should have tried taking a few of the Jumbotron thingie, though, particularly when they showed Macca in the audience. Fun night! If you're curious, yes, I was in the bathroom during the Mandatory Two Minutes of Faux Patriotism.

0 comments: